Monday, July 9, 2012

The Immigrant (1917)

Why it's included:
Charlie Chaplin as the little Tramp. Nuff said.

Specs:
25 minutes, black and white, silent. We watched it on Netflix - its part of a Charlie Chaplin short films collection. I notice that it also seems to be available on Youtube.

Our family's average rating (on a scale of 1-10):
6.75

More thoughts about the film and our reaction to it:
Here's a primer, for people who don't do much of it, on how to watch a silent comedy, especially a Charlie Chaplin film: don't get too hung up on the plot. Just open your eyes, sit back, and enjoy whatever it is that is happening. It is primarily a visual experience. For instance, I can't tell you exactly what the card game on the boat was about, but I know that I loved watching Chaplin shuffling. Priceless.

Its hard to say exactly why the guy is so funny. He just is. For my younger child, its all about the big pants. For me, it's something about his silly smile and expressions - there's just an explosion of funniness popping out of him all the time. Its like a force of nature.

Iconic shot:


No comments:

Post a Comment