Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Gold Rush (1925)

Why it's here:
We needed a Charlie Chaplin feature. This one is often regarded as his best.

Specs:
1 1/2 hours, black and white, silent. We watched it on Netflix
The film is set in the California Gold Rush, around 1850

Our family's average rating (on a scale of 1-10):
7.38

More about the movie and our reaction to it:
You'd think I'd have more to say about this classic film, but I've got this weird thing going with Chaplin -- I find he brings out the silence in me. [pause for intended pun to sink in.] He brings out a lot of enjoyment too! Just not a lot of words. (And for that I'm sure people are grateful.)

In any case, this is a great film. Chaplin is wonderful and entertaining as always, and there is the extremely well-known bit where he makes the bread rolls dance.

argh. . . just watch it. Don't make me explain why.

Iconic shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment