Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Batman (1966)

Why its here:
My brother made me do it : )

Specs:
1 1/2 hours. Color

Our family's average rating on a scale from 1 - 10:
6.4

More about the film and our reaction to it:
I'm not ashamed to admit it: I liked this film. There, I said it.  In fact, our collective rating would have been much higher had my husband not given it a "5". To enjoy this film, you have to accept it on its own terms - which are campy 60s hipster fluff. If you can do that, then you will probably like the movie too. (My husband, obviously, could not.)

Please do NOT attempt to show this film to modern kids without first disabusing them of any notion that it will be 'like' modern superhero movies (i.e. Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man). It couldn't be more different. It is intentionally cheesy.  Flat and slightly absurd, with silly dialog and special effects, it is hard to describe to someone who never saw the 60s TV show.  Having the right expectations is half the battle.

The film is an exploded episode of the show, with all your favorite villains making an appearance. Robin's iconic "holy [fill in the blank], Batman" makes several appearances: my favorite, "Holy heartbreak, Batman."

Is is groundbreaking meaningful cinema? No. Is it a silly and fun treat? Absolutely!

Iconic Image:


No comments:

Post a Comment